Unfortuntately, the 3D workshop is still not available to use due to the degree show. So I have booked another date with David, the new technician, and hopefully I can begin the vinamould next Tuesday. It will take about 1-2 days, and that still leaves a little time before the deadline.
I have started by creating all 8 fingers out of greyboard, and I punched holes at the tips to tie the strings. I tested it, and I have no doubt that it is very strong, and the moving mechanism will be successful, as long as the joints are not blocked or disturbed.
Now, I need to figure out how I will attach the wax fingernails on after it is made. I also do not want the fingers to be painted on just yet- as it is too rectangular. I was thinking of using a bit of newspaper to make the edges rounder, maybe a little brown tape (as I learnt from armature making in Part 1), but it cannot be too heavy. And I should not disturb the joints with newspaper stuffing too, or else it won’t move.
I needed to see if the latex pieces can stick onto calico with bostik glue, and it worked, although the glue does seep through onto the other side, but that is fine as the bandana will be very thick, so I do not need to worry about that.
I have also roughly cut the squares of the back piece to see what it would look like on Rachel’s head, and it is the perfect size. So I will note down these measurements and create the latex accordingly.
Lastly, I have prepared the latex for weaving and surface manipulation for the back pieces, and hopefully that should dry fully by Friday. I will create more tomorrow, and so I aim to get most of the piece done by next Tuesday.