1-1 Tutorial & Model Making

I went to the new technician in the 3D workshop today, and he told me to come back on Wednesday to do the vinamould casting, as he has to help out BA Fine Art with their exhibition. So, I had my 1-1 Tutorial with Lucy instead, where we discussed the structure and technical problems with making my final piece at present:

IMG_5441

How will the piece stay in place and fit around the head? 

It was challenging to think very technically about this head piece, but I may have found a soloution. Using a swimming trunk cap underneath a wire head structure would not be convenient in terms of gathering hair to the forehead, where the first “mouth” will be, and this is what I discovered during the 1-1. So Lucy suggested a more comfortable way instead, and that is wire inside wadding and calico. So I sketched a structure which involves Velcro and 3 strips of calico pieces that have the fingers attached. It is secured on the head like a bandana, and tied underneath the chin like a helmet. It may be more fiddly than a simple cap/ hat to put on, but it is the only way to secure a very delicate head piece like this in one place.

IMG_5446

This is also how I plan to create the structure of the back of my head piece, in square panels. Lucy suggested that I use hook and eye or fish line to hang the pieces, so I will be searching for those materials. I would like to make this back part detachable, as that way, I will not be awkward to wear on the model.

IMG_5447

Since my first model was already quite successful, I did not see wire as much of a potential anymore, but I still attempted to play around with it as a cap structure. I thought this would work, but after speaking with Lucy, I did find that wire would be uncomfortable and it is not as tight to the head as a I want it to be. The bandana technique is defiantly the strongest.

I made a quick, rough mock- up of the calico, wadding and wire. A string fastening at the back is still not tight enough, so I will use Velcro instead or wire under calico instead. And I will also need to decide whether I want the wire to remain in one place under the calico, or a bit loose. This is just the structure after all, so it does not need to be so aesthetically polished, because the latex is going to be draped over it.

Constructing the moving finger out of greyboard worked well, and it is still light, which is good. I am currently waiting for the latex to dry, as I have painted it straight onto the finger. I was also worried about how to attach the finger onto fabric, but it seems to have worked with Bostik glue.

Now, I just need to refine the technical process a bit more, how the wire is placed in calicoes, how long the strips need to be etc, and how to make all the other parts- surface textures and mouths. I discovered that thinking technically is very difficult, especially for a fragile 3d piece like this, as I need to foresee a lot of problems, whilst bearing in mind the weight, comfort and aesthetic too. But with careful planning, it can be achieved.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s