Latex (drying overnight)

I am very happy with the outcome of the latex so far, as the samples produced are exactly how I wanted them to be.

The latex trappings of the fabrics worked very well, as the texture was exactly like the shrivelled, dried skin of the displays I found in the Hunterian Museum. The trapping of the plastic bag was still a bit wet, perhaps the plastic prevents the mix from drying quicker. So next time, I will cut the plastic into smaller bits to allow air in a bit more.

The latex mixed with acrylic paint worked successfully too, and it had a very solid rubbery texture. The hair also stuck on well, and I think this sample does not need anymore refinement. I will create more samples using this mixture, as it may also work well with stitch and weave.

IMG_5377

This trapping has the slime which resists it- and the centre is still wet at present. It still seems quite grotesque, but as a surface texture, it is not as strong as the other samples.

IMG_5378

This was just latex, but I used a blow dryer on top yesterday for a minute. The small bubbly part still remains after the whole sample has dried, and I will create more on a larger scale as a dried, mottled texture is very grotesque. In addition, one part has more latex than the rest, and this increases the rubbery surface  which will be beneficial for stitch work on top.

IMG_5383

This trapping was successful, as the papers and yarn were all dried up, and it made me realise that the latex can withstand quite heavy materials inside it. I will refine this sample further by making it less chunky.

As for today, I tried experimenting with the latex and acrylic paint further, by adding drops of contact lenses soloution which resists the latex. The drops formed spots of clear liquid on the latex, when I was aiming to re create the look of “pores” on skin. The red blotches in the second picture is red acrylic paint, and I added red food colouring in the mix too, and I’m wondering if it will remain just like the photo after it dries.

As for the slime with wool in it, I discovered that it can be stitched on, but it is a little fragile for more complicated stitch features like triangles. Perhaps I need to use more wool in the slime, so that the material woils be stronger. A straight stitch and zig zag works best and it can surprisingly be embroidered onto as well, but very carefully.

Now, I want to refine my samples further since I know my techniques well. I will create surface texture collages in my sketchbook using photocopies of these samples and the butcher photos. Then, I will translate them into tangible forms using slime, latex, stitch and weave.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s