The process took 1.5 days for me, and Elaine guided me through every step. To screen-print my slogan onto a white t-shirt, I had to prepare first:
- Have my slogan open on photoshop
- Print it in black (this won’t affect my intention for it to be screen- printed in another colour)
- Print onto acetate, print it twice and tape both acetate pieces together
- Cut the remaining acetate off if there is no slogan filling up the a4 space
- Place the acetate onto the vacuum, then the prepared screen on top
- Leave about 2 minutes for the vacuum to transfer the slogan onto the mesh screen
- Rinse the screen briefly then leave to dry (10 minutes)
- Prepare my dyes, a good start is two large spoons of emulsion, then one spoon of coloured dye, add more if needed
Screen – Printing:
- Hook in my screen
- Screen-print onto the large plastic cover first, as this will help us align the slogan on the t shirt later on
- Place a line of dye on the top of the screen, and pull the squeegee towards you slowly
- Go back up once more
- Lift the screen up and the slogan is printed onto the plastic cover
- Lift the plastic cover and place the t-shirt underneath it
- Repeat the printing process and it is done!
- Wait overnight for the dye to dry
- Iron the t shirt inside out to seal the slogan fully
- The slogan t-shirt is ready to wear!
I want to design more logos and slogans next time on photoshop, and experiment in printing layers of shapes and different colours!